Ambassadors

     Recently I've been reading the book 2 Samuel in the Bible. It's really interesting because it is about the life of King David, a man after God's own heart and a man with a dramatic life. He did many wonderful things for God, and that made him popular with many people, but it also earned him many jealous enemies.
     One of the passages of 2 Samuel that meant a lot to me was chapter 6. In this chapter David rejoices before God as he restores the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem. As he did this the Bible says, "Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she despised him in her heart."
     David's own wife despised her husband because of what the Lord was doing through him, but David did not care. His response to his wife was this in verses 21 and 22, "I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes."
What David did is completely contrary to what the world says we should do. Culture tell us to just fit in and be popular all the time. I hate this in my life. I do this. I do not help an elderly person pick something up that they dropped because I feel awkward. I have also not told someone about God's love because I was embarrassed. Many times I wonder, 'how can I fix this in my life?'
     Well, looking at the example that King David set the way to fix this is just not to care. We need to choose not to care about people's judgement but to care only about what the Lord thinks. For, "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart," as 1 Samuel 16:7 says perfectly.
      We need to live our lives for God only. I have come to realize that as a teen eyes are on me constantly. People judge us a lot. But only when I, as Hebrews 12:2 says, "fix our (my) eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith," can I have the confidence that King David had. Then I can strive to follow what Paul says in 1 Timothy 4:12 and not, "let anyone look down on you (me) because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 
    I'm writing to all the teens out there when I say that each of these qualities can make a huge impact in this world full of grown-ups watching our every move. We have a big opportunity for impact, let God be your confidence! Talk respectfully and make an effort to stat conversations. Get out, log off of Facebook and do stuff with your day. Love others and accept them for who they are. Tell others about your faith and have faith in God. When you have faith in God people will notice the change in you from a worrying person to a joyful person. Lastly live a pure life void of things our world approves of, but the Bible condemns.
     Life on earth drains everything happy from us, but God has placed us here for His purpose: to show others who God is through how we live. In other words our purpose here on earth is to be God's ambassadors. If we did not have a purpose, we would be home in Heaven right now.
     So, while we labor away on earth strive to live like King David. Strive to be different for God. Let Christ be your confidence and ultimately your joy.

Comments